Your profile overview is one of the most important parts of your Upwork profile. How well it is written could affect how many opportunities you get.
If you are struggling to get the right words into your overview, or you feel it doesn’t sound convincing enough, then you’ve come to the right place. This article will show you how to create a compelling profile overview that can help you score jobs.
I’d also be showing you some profile overview samples so you know how to start.
Side Note: I regularly publish articles on this blog to help freelancers who really want to succeed in their careers. If you are one of them, you should absolutely like my Facebook page or follow me on Twitter so I can keep you aware of the best tips to help you get ahead and score great jobs. Simply click one of the buttons below and click like or follow, as the case may be.
How To Write A Great Profile Overview
The quality of just about any overview can be improved with the following tips:
1. Put the best information in the first Sentence: When a person posts a job at Upwork, he may get a ton of applications, all of which he has to look through. Most hirers do not have the time to read entire profile overview snippets for 50 different applicants, but if the first sentence in your overview captures their interest, they will click to view your profile and possibly contact you for an interview.
2. Be professional: Your overview is not an email, do not start with a greeting (hello, hi, good day, dear sir, etc). Do not start with “thanks for viewing my overview” either, it’s unnecessary and unprofessional. You would have all the time to greet and thank your client after a great overview convinces the person to hire you. Also refrain from using statements like “I’m a young student looking for work on the side.” It gives the impression that this is not something you take seriously and clients will opt for people with more professional overviews.
3. Focus on one line of work: Describing how great you are at many different, unrelated skills may seem like an awesome idea, but it could actually ruin your chances of scoring jobs. Hirers usually prefer someone who is good at a certain profession
4. Keep it short, keep it neat: A profile overview is not a biography, and thus should be kept as short as possible. I have seen people write stories about little jobs they did here and there, and it doesn’t look good. A single, well constructed paragraph may be all that you need to pass a strong message to a client. In some cases however, your overview may extend beyond one paragraph, and that is fine, just keep it short and neat.
5. Consider why a hirer needs your services: Each time a person posts a job at upwork, he has a goal he wants to accomplish with the assistance of a freelancer. You can get into the mind of each hirer right from your profile overview. For example, a client seeking to hire a creative writer most likely has a website, and wants to increase traffic to that site with great content. If you are a creative writer, your profile overview can include the promise that your articles will help to increase traffic to your client’s site. Similarly, if you are a WordPress developer, you can promise well crafted sites that load quickly, and are search engine optimized. However, only promise what you can deliver.
Upwork Profile Overview Examples
To help you get a firm understanding of what a good overview should look like, I have included 3 upwork profile overview samples below. I created these samples for illustrative purposes and the names used are imaginary. I hope these samples will help you create a better profile overview, and score more jobs at Upwork.
Rachael Zingling Gates
Creative Writer and Content Strategist
If ‘content is king’, then I am the queen. With over 3 years of experience in writing and content strategy, and over 40 articles written, some of which have been featured in Forbes and Time Magazine, I have the creativity and professional experience that can help your company succeed in driving sales and increasing customer engagement through brilliantly written content. If you want to increase traffic to your website, or make your facebook and twitter pages popular among users of the kinds products and services you offer, then let me help you.
James Maxim Wall
I am a Web development expert with over 5 years experience in setup and customization of WordPress, Joomla, Shopify, Spree Commerce, and other platforms. Till date, I have created over 30 websites, most of which required custom designed plugins, extensions, and themes. My aim has always been to produce websites that look beautiful and professional, are highly functional, load quickly, and are Search Engine optimized. If this is what you want, then get in touch with me.
Branding and Marketing Graphic Designer
Creative Graphic Designer with over 8 years experience in Print, Web, Marketing, and Packaging designs. Committed to producing visually appealing, clean graphics that set my clients apart from the competition. Looking for challenging projects and opportunities to help businesses achieve their marketing goals through engaging visual designs. If you value elegant and compelling graphic works, delivered quickly, then you would love working with me.
Check out some of my work with this link: www.example.com/portfolio